Friday, March 26, 2010

Don't matter if you're black or white...

My research topic tackles the beginning of acceptance to interracial relationships. I think interracial relationships have affected all countries at some point. I believe the start of these relationships contributed greatly to the overall acceptance of different races in general. Without these couples taking that first step, our gradual progression to racial equality would be at a standstill. I'm researching the 1967 film, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. This film was the very first to portray an interracial couple (the guy being black, the girl white) and address the issue of racial acceptance, and make it entertaining for that matter. Decade after decade more movies were created that show interracial relationships. But for that time, no other movie was like it. No other movie would dare portray an interracial couple, especially during the Civil Rights Movement. What was most unique about this film, is the writers purposely addressed the fact they were an interracial couple and addressed the issue most parents would have about that sort of thing during that point in history. Although this movie was the first step into accepting other races and interracial relationships, it is still more rare than not to see interracial couples on the movie screen. With my research paper, I want to address the progress this film made in starring an interracial couple, but also talk about the need for more diversity in motion picture to influence total racial acceptance.

2 comments:

  1. I think we talked about this but I have not seen this movie. I remember watching the 2005 adaption with Ashton Kutcher but I can't remember it being that great and probably is no where near as good as the original. hah.
    I do think this is a really great topic to write about. Rarely have I seen a movie that portrays an interracial couple, even today it's still really rare. Or if there has been a movie with an interracial couple, it's usually a crazy couple which seems unlikely of the Guess Who couple that includes Katharine Hepburn, who I think is sincere and poised, not silly.
    I think I even remember seeing clips of a movie that the boyfriend/husband was in during Comm. class. It was one of the first movies to portray an African American in a leading role so this guy was definitely in a lot of "first" movies. ahha.

    Anyway, this is a great topic that is also one that needs to be addressed so not only is it relevant but it is timely as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too believe that this topic is one that you can find plenty of sources about and write an amazing research paper of. Like Alaina I haven't seen this version but I have seen the version with Ashton Kutcher where the race is flipped. This is a strong topic because you have such an impacting topic that really has changed American culture. Nowadays you see lots of interracial couples out and about and it isn't a big deal compared to the past. Hopefully you're able to enjoy this subject and write a powerful research paper!

    ReplyDelete