Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Dark Arts

Students aren't big fans of writing. There are a select view that have that special knack for it, while the majority are simply trying to finish their assignment. Throughout my life I've written countless essays and thought to myself, "There's only so much I can write about this." But this is exactly what the author is arguing. Hampl describes in The Dark Art of Description that writing in detailed description is as an opportunity to express something in the deepest way possible. That you can make something out of nothing once you really observe it. Referencing her student from a small town near Minniapolis enforces her point immensely. This student felt he had nothing to say about his boring, small town, but after extra consideration he was able to create an entire story. I think the author's main purpose is about both writing and life in general. She wants people to realize that we overlook things in our lives everyday. With some extra observation and thought we can see details we've never seen before. She believes that once you carry this over in your writing, your paper can excel to a greater level.

Another point she was trying to make is the impact description has on the reader. The more detail allows the reader to be right in the story, as if they were standing next to the main character. I think the author emphasizes this when she weaves in much description telling her own story.

1 comment:

  1. I totally did not read the article like this which is really funny how different people can have totally different takes on the same thing. That's also a part of English too I think, obviously when you're reading a book and your teacher brings up some crazy, eye-opening statement that totally shatters your view of the book (and maybe life?) in general. ahah.
    So anyway, I think that your points are really good. I didn't particularly enjoy this article which is why I maybe took away mostly what the surface was giving me. I don't particularly like being told how to write and what I need to do to be a better writer unless it's specifically from a teacher or peer that's read what I've written. I guess this goes with what you were saying about people in general not really liking to write papers.
    So yes, your interpretation really opened my eyes. Have you ever read "Heart of Darkness"? That story is also another example of a novel that is so long and drawn out simply because of all the detail written within the story itself.
    Thanks for writing about this though! haha. Have a good spring break! :D

    ReplyDelete