Thursday, January 28, 2010

I would never name my child Gallien.

Immediately Gallien became aware of Chris’ unique outlook on life. He later found out he hadn’t talked to his family in two years, he’s not too fond of the government, and clearly wants to do everything on his own. As we all have read, Gallien tried several times to offer anything he could to Chris to help him on his adventure or avoid it all together. After parting with Chris, I think Gallien realized that Chris’ journey was something that was out of his hands, something only Chris could do on his own. I feel if he had picked someone up with the same plans, but who was less sure of her/himself Gallien would have called the police. But Chris was different. He was so confident in himself despite his lack of supplies. And although it seemed ridiculous I think Gallien began to believe he could do it too.

On the other hand, it could have gone the other way. Although Gallien was a pretty nice guy to let Chris hitch a ride, maybe the fact that Chris hadn’t talked to his family in two years, wasn’t too fond of the government, and wanted to do everything on his own pissed off Gallien a little bit. That when he thought about the police, his “he’ll be okay” remark was a cover up for his subconscious feelings. “If that little guy thinks he can handle the wild, then I’ll let him handle it.” Maybe that quote would have been more accurate to describe his train of thought.

But then again, a lot of people go out of their way to help people and sometimes our subconscious instincts get in the way. The fact that Chris was a stranger may have been Gallien’s subconscious feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Chris was just this weird stranger to Gallien and I agree that Gallien was taken aback by this young man who was fully convinced that he could survive in the wilderness without the help of Gallien or anyone else for that matter. So I think that it is possible that Gallien believed that Chris was just a lost cause and let him go but still, in the back of his mind figured that he'd be okay out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "on the other hand" thought is very interesting. I never thought of it that way before. I have to admit I can't really see Gallien being pissed off at Chris. But hey that's just me. As for the prior thought I have to agree. I don't believe that Gallien had any obligation to try to talk Chris out of his plans. As far as I'm concerned he went way out of his way just to offer Chris supplies and food. It was definitely generous of him but he had no obligation to try to help Chris. I don's see anything wrong with letting Chris go on his journey with out any further disturbance.

    ReplyDelete